HB Architects was founded in Cape Town in 1999, and formalised in 2003 by Professional Architect Stuart Hermansen, who remains the Principal Architect.
We approach projects by gaining a thorough understanding of the particular spatial context – tangible and intangible – before developing a rigorous set of design tools pertinent to the project, which then guides the design process from initial sketch designs through to completion and hand-over to the client.
Although completely integrated in our projects, our service can be separated into the following fields of expertise:
- Architecture, interior design, space planning
- Masterplanning/Strategic Spatial Planning
- Urban design
- Heritage Reports – sites and buildings, landscapes, and precincts
- Integrated Conservation Management Plans
- Conservation/preservation of the built environment
- Traditional restoration skills
- Adaptive re-use of heritage resources within acceptable local and international standards
The scope of our finished projects range from bespoke residences – large and small, extensive work on early Cape farms, restoration/adaptation of Georgian and Victorian buildings, civic projects, tertiary education facilities, restaurants and commercial kitchens, amongst others. Fine attention is given to each project, no matter the scale.
Our professional services and fees are aligned with the most recent South African Council for the Architectural Profession Client/Architect Agreements, and we abide by the Council’s Code of Ethics.
Our studio is located in Stellenbosch.